Monday, April 26, 2010

Politics for breakfast

This morning, I received a questionnaire from the Liberal Party. I shall type it up because I intended to send it back and scribbled all over it and made a right mess, so I decided to send an email instead.

It reads:

HAVE YOUR SAY...           

Please number (from 1 to 4) the four issues that concern you most.

(next to this in a large bubble is Your views are important to me!)

__ The level of national debt under the Rudd Government

__ Local crime in our community

__ The lack of real action by the Rudd Government

__ Fixing our local hospitals

__ Creating local jobs

__ Taking Direct Action on climate change not just a Great Big New Tax

__ The state of our local roads and infrastructure

__ The lack of government support for small business

__ Border Protection and community safety
Before I realised that he is in fact a Federal Representative and not State I wrote under this one "From what? Penguins, seals, New Zealand?"

If you could fix one problem in our local area, what would it be?

________________________________________________________________________________

Please select from the following options:

I ALWAYS support the following party
__ Liberal
__ Labour
__ Greens
__ Independant/ Other

or

I USUALLY support the following party


__ Liberal
__ Labour
__ Greens
__ Independant/ Other

or

__ I don't really support and political party

Follow McDuff for my e-mail




Dear Mr Bushby,

This morning I received a letter from your mass mail-out. I have a few issues with it, but firstly I want to request that I be removed from your mailing list. I never elected to be on it.

With regards to your questionnaire, you state that the respondents’ views are important. But looking through the list I don’t actually see any of my views; I see your views. I see that you are looking for people to agree with you. Your very wording reveals your bias and there is literally no space to comment, hence this e-mail.

I have detailed below my concerns about your evident and unabashed bias.


1. The level of national debt under the Rudd Government

This statement is clearly perpetuating ignorance by completely disregarding other factors. What was the debt under Mr John Howard? How much did it cost to bail out Capitalism from the financial crisis? How much is it costing to participate in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (wars, which of course Mr Howard sent troops to, not Mr Rudd)?


3. The lack of real action by the Rudd Government

Did the Rudd government not bail Capitalists out of the financial crisis? Did he not spare the country from economic down turn? Was he not praised for doing so (notably by Barack Obama, for example)? Did he not acknowledge inherent racism in our country (that Mr Howard bluntly refused to) and apologised to the stolen generation (which Mr Howard bluntly refused to do)?


4. Fixing our local hospitals

I would like to know what you mean by "fixing?" I would observe the hospitals need improvement, not "fixing."


5. Creating local jobs

I am more concerned about the fact that under the Howard government the classification of "employment" changed. So while it appeared that the unemployment rate went down, what actually changed was the classification of employment. It changed to include part time work, which is not necessarily a liveable wage.


6. Taking Direct Action on climate change not just a Great Big New Tax

Firstly, I was not aware that Direct Action and Great Big New Tax were proper nouns. Secondly, I would be interested to know what you would call that great, big, new tax Mr Howard introduced; Goods and Services Tax or goods and services tax?


8. The lack of government support for small businesses.

I find it incredibly interesting that you would advocate support (which I assume means financial support, which would mean either taking money from other services or higher taxes) for people who have chosen to be in business and yet you do not support a tax with a view to doing something about climate change, so that ultimately the earth remains liveable.

For the record, I always support the Greens and have recycled your letter accordingly. I support the Greens because their views better reflect my own. I notice your letter made absolutely no mention of the actions of Forestry Tasmania.

Once again, please remove me from your mailing list.

Regards,

Ms E N Shilling

No comments:

Post a Comment