Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Do I look bothered?




I am bothered.

Why am I bothered?

Dad and I just went for a quick shop. I decided I wanted Minestrone for dinner. Dad asked whether it had any meat in it, I said I didn't think so, but I asked what meat we had at our disposal. He replied that my brother was bringing home a hind-quarter of beef (he's doing a butchery pre-apprenticeship course). However, my guts aren't good at the moment (not so good at dealing with beef) so I said I'd get a chicken instead.

The butcher had Nichols Chickens for $7.99 a kilo. It's not the cheapest place to buy it, some places have them for that much for a whole chicken.

So I went up to the counter and older man came up to serve me.

'What would you like?' he asked.

'I'll just have a chicken, please.' I replied.

And then, for no apparent reason he asked, 'you do know that price is per kilo.'

WTF?

What part of that exchange, what part of me would give him the impression that I couldn't read or comprehend the sign that said $7.99 kg?

I would be fascinated to know what prompted it.

Was it my blonde hair? My age?

I am bothered that based upon my appearance he evidently made some assumptions about me and concluded that I couldn't figure out that a sign that read $7.99 kg meant $7.99 kg.

Am I over-reacting?

Bothered

No comments:

Post a Comment